Basics • Classes • Seminars
Wine classes and seminars are offered on a regular basis at several different venues.
Wine Basics 101:
This is the place to start learning about wine. Wine 101 reviews the fundamental basics of wine, and is the ideal introduction to the fundamentals of wine tasting!
Attendees Will learn how to:
• appreciate wine through proper tasting techniques.
• how to read wine labels and how worldwide wine classifications are shown on the labels.
• identify varietals and blends: understand what the wine label says, and
• how to buy, store, serve and savor wines
• how to determine wine flaws and defects—is it spoiled or simply badly produced
• properly store wine: what temperature, how long to keep wine once it's been opened, when to microwave & freeze wine and much more.
This course designed to create a strong developing students' confidence about wine. This class will introduce the basic concepts of wine appreciation, including the "Five S's. Wines will be sampled by means of side-by side comparisons. Wine Basics 101 is highly recommended as a primer for our more advanced classes.
Wine & Sensory Evaluation
This class is an exercise on the basics of wine by using the senses of sight, smell, taste and touch. The information is presented with humor to lay the foundation for enjoying the
world of wine.
• Learn about different varieties of grapes: their aromas, tannins, acid, regions and what makes each wine unique.
• Discover the part that soil and climate play in winegrowing, and winemaking.
• Explore the components in wine and sensory evaluation—learn to identify the various components that make up wine: acids, sugar, alcohol, et al, and why they pair with food.
• Understand the differences between acids, tannins, sugar levels and body/weight?
Featured wines will be sampled by means of side-by-side comparisons of four white varietals and four red varietals, with a special treat for dessert! The class ends with a segment of questions and answers. This is a great introductory class for the novice wine drinker to help expand their palate and take the mystery out of wine.
Please check our calendar of events or call 732.517.1474 to register or schedule an upcoming class, seminar, or event.